Fortinet SD-WAN: An Overview of Features and Benefits
Understanding SD-WAN solution in Fortigate firewalls.
Autor: Eduardo D. Aranda Espejel
Modern enterprise networks rely heavily on WAN connectivity to support critical business operations. Software-Defined Wide Area Networking (SD-WAN) is a technology that enables organizations to manage and optimize their WAN connections effectively. Fortigate devices are widely used in many organizations to provide network security, and they also support SD-WAN. In this article, we will explore the SD-WAN solution in Fortinet devices and how it can benefit your organization.
What is SD-WAN?
SD-WAN is a special technology that helps big companies or organizations with lots of different locations connect their computers and devices over long distances. It makes sure the information travels through the right paths, so it gets there quickly and safely.
SD-WAN solutions provide numerous benefits for organizations, including improved network performance, increased reliability, reduced costs, simplified network management, and enhanced security.
Fortigate and SD-WAN
Fortigate is a type of network security device that is commonly used by organizations to provide network security.
Fortigate devices also support SD-WAN, which means that they provide a platform for organizations to implement SD-WAN solutions.
When organizations use SD-WAN in Fortigate devices, they can manage their WAN connections more efficiently. This is because SD-WAN technology enables network administrators to prioritize network traffic based on application requirements, route traffic over the most efficient paths, and provide quality of service (QoS) for mission-critical applications. Fortigate SD-WAN also provides a centralized management interface that allows administrators to manage and configure all network devices from a single location.
In summary, SD-WAN in Fortigate devices provides a powerful solution for organizations looking to manage and optimize their WAN connections while also providing robust network security. By using SD-WAN in Fortigate devices, organizations can improve network performance, increase reliability, reduce costs, simplify network management, and enhance security.
Benefits of SD-WAN with Fortigate
In accordance with Fortinet, their firewall solution, they can offer we the following benefits for SD-WAN:
1. APPLICATION RESILIENCE: Ensures highest level of application availability and performance over any WAN transport.
2. INTEGRATED ADVANCED SECURITY: Converges the most advanced NGFW and routing to deliver consistent security on- and off-network.
3. SCALABLE, HIGH PERFORMANCE: Transforms and secures SD-WAN at large scale with no performance impact thanks to the industry's only SD-WAN ASIC.
4. MULTI-CLOUD ON-RAMP: Enables secure, fast connectivity and high performance to, in, and between cloud applications.
5. ZERO-TOUCH PROVISIONING: Enables large scale, faster deployment of Secure SD-WAN.
6. CENTRALIZED ORCHESTRATION: Centrally manages deployments, configurations, and on-going operations with complete visibility, analytics and reporting.
As a conclusion we can say that the SD-WAN technology is becoming increasingly popular among organizations looking to improve network performance, reduce costs, and simplify network management. Fortigate devices provide an excellent platform for implementing SD-WAN solutions, enabling organizations to achieve these benefits while also providing robust network security.